Moon Phases Hinged Pendant (Art Elements January Theme)
Thinking that I wouldn't be at a loss for inspiration for the January Art Elements theme of the moon, I signed up. It was a good thing I did too because if I hadn't I may not have pushed myself to complete what I did.
While the opportunities for inspiration from the moon are vast, I initially considered making something similar to the Harvest Moon Earrings I made for Earrings Everyday back in October 2017. But, I have to admit that I didn't put much thought into the project until I was looking for information on the Super Blood Wolf Moon and eclipse that occurred on January 20th. An image of the moon phases struck me, and I was compelled to sketch out an idea.
I thought it would be interesting to make a pendant with a hinge that could be flipped to reveal some of the moon's phases. But, my lack of experience in crafting a hinge made me hesitant to begin the project.
|I started by making a template of the phases I wanted to include on a cracker box, cutting out the templates, taping them to a piece of brassy-colored tin, and tracing them with a fine tip marker.|
The idea swirled in my head for far too long, and I was finally so pressed for time to complete the challenge that I'm sharing my first and only attempt. I believe more practice would have lead to better results. In the end, this pendant functions successfully but is not the expertly crafted pendant that I had initially envisioned. However, I'm pleased that I was able to make the hinge work.
|The shapes were cut with tin snips, filed and distressed, and then colored with Vintaj Patinas before being sealed.|
My failures are in the actual shapes and the cutting of them. Thankfully, I had just purchased some new tin snips that made cutting out the shapes a little easier, though not exact.
Not only did I have to snip down the tabs, but also the circular shapes to get the rolled tabs to fit within one another securely.
I also added jump rings between some of the tabs so that the moon phases weren't hanging too low. For the hinge pins, I used heavy gauge brass wire that I turned into loops to keep them from slipping out.
A piece of the excess tin was used to create a bail by riveting it to the back of the pendant.
Like the moon, this pendant was difficult to photograph. Here's a look at each of the phases I was able to create.
So that you could see the Moon Phases Hinged Pendant in action, I also created a quick video.
But, here's another few looks at it in its entirety.
The discoloration on the patina was caused when I used a matte nail polish top coat to seal the color more securely on the tin. However, I dig that it echoes the color variations on the real moon.
Now that I've actually attempted creating a hinge and know where some of the faults lie in my process, I'm less scared to try it again.
Thanks go out to Lindsay for offering up a theme that left the door open for loads of interpretation. And, I'm sure that you'll see plenty of them from the other artists that participated in the challenge. Make sure to hop around and check them out.
You are here --> Hope
Art Elements Crew: