Jesse James Beads Tutorials
Pretty Filigree and Bead Bracelet
I really enjoy participating in the Pirate Pretties Jewelry Challenge each month as it encourages me to use materials and combinations I wouldn't have previously considered. This challenge comes from Angela, and this is the second year I've participated. While the monthly theme last year was birthstones, this year we're using color combos that Angela has set. In addition, she has a choice of metals, a project type, and an optional fun element that should be included each month. This month, the color combo is Peach and Pearl White, the metal choice is copper or silver, the project is a bracelet, and the fun element is filigree. These are the materials I gathered for the challenge.
Now, I haven't done much work with filigree as a setting for anything, but really wanted to try - especially once I found the glass cabochon. I let the camera roll as I experimented with the design of my bracelet, and am thrilled with the results.
You can watch all my experimentation in my DIY Copper Filigree Bracelet video on YouTube.
I cannot believe how beautifully this bracelet came together, and that's evident in my reaction when you watch the video.
Thrifty Thursday Haul
I've backed off on some of my thrift shopping lately as I have plenty and really just need to use it. But, I did find a few things at a thrift store and a few more at an estate sale in the past week or two. I'll share a peek at both hauls with you here, but if you're interested in seeing it all in more detail, I do have a video (at the bottom of this post).
Like I said above you can learn more about what all this is in the Thrifty Thursday haul video.
May Art Challenges and Inspirations
- I would be remiss if I didn't mention my own challenge #CraftyHopePrompts. This is a weekly mixed media challenge in which each Monday, I pull three prompts and create a prompt card from an old playing card. Then, each Saturday, I make another project with those same prompts. The videos explain how you can play along, but I welcome any questions you have about this project.
- The reveal that's coming up the next soonest is the monthly Pirate Pretties Jewelry Challenge from Angela. The reveal date is the 15th. This year, the theme of the challenge is "Double Color." You can learn more about the challenge in Angela's video. This month, the two colors are Peach and Pearl White. We are to make a bracelet using copper or silver and the optional fun element of filigree. You can upload a video with the hashtag #PiratePrettiesJewelryChallenge and/or share your make in the Pirate Pretties Facebook Group.
- The Honey Do List is another jewelry-making challenge. It comes from Sarajo and Eric of SJ Designs Jewelry. Each month, Eric gives Sarajo a photo that he's taken. The photo is to be used as inspiration for one or more jewelry designs. Sarajo shares this photo on her blog so we can all be inspired too. The reveal date this month is May 29th.
- My friend, Nina Ficket, has a Clean Slate journal series in which you simply work in a junk journal sometime during the month and film it. With all the other prompts and inspirations, this is a bit of a palette cleanser for me and often just what I need.
- Lastly, I'm not promising anything, but Index Card a Day (ICAD) often begins on June 1st. This is a 61-day challenge from Tammy of Daisy Yellow that usually has daily prompts and weekly themes (all optional). If you're curious you can watch my ICAD creations from last year in my ICAD 2022 playlist on YouTube. Or, just do a search for ICAD. Or, ask me any questions you may have. Though, this ICAD page on the Daisy Yellow blog probably answers most your questions. This is a fun daily challenge. And, it will probably start the same day the 100-Day project ends. How about that!?
Mixed Media Videos from April 2023
Holy smokes, y'all. I blinked and April was at an end. Did it fly by for you too? Here's a quick roundup of the art journaling and mixed media art videos I posted over on YouTube in April, in case you missed any of them.
Per usual, I'll first share my makes from my own #CraftyHopePrompts challenge. The videos each explain this challenge if you're unsure what it is.
|Week 26 Card - Star, Lace, Craft Paint|
|Project 26 - Mixed Media Tag|
|Week 27 Card - Chalk, Magazine, Drip|
|Week 27 Project - Junk Journal Page|
|Week 28 Card - Splatter, Scratch, Triangle|
|Week 28 Project - Encaustic Wax Panel|
|Week 29 Card - Embossed Paper, Acrylic Paint, Seam Binding|
|Week 29 Project - Junk Journal Page|
|Week 30 Card - Pink, Draw, Distress Stain|
|Week 30 Project - Altered Tag|
|Mini Assemblages 42-44|
|Mini Assemblages 48, 50, & 52|
|Mini Assemblages 53, 54, & 56|
|April Clean Slate Journal|
Jesse James Beads Tutorials
I believe that I've mentioned a time or two here that I'm a Design Ambassador for Jesse James Beads . Basically, that means they sen...
Learning to make jewelry is as simple as knowing a few of the tools and how to perform several techniques. From there, a whole world of des...
One of the hurdles in learning to make your own jewelry can be as simple as figuring out all the supplies that are out there and what the ba...