Perhaps you recall that earlier in the week I was contemplating my goals and resolutions for 2011. In general, the list is much the same as always: get in shape, eat better, get organized, focus on my business, create as often as possible. . .BORING!!
After reading MK's post about picking a single word to inspire her in 2011, I decided that I would do the same. I considered
and many more before settling on (drum roll please. . . )
Instead, let me elaborate (briefly) on how I want to apply the word
AWAKEN my creative spirit on a daily basis
AWAKEN my ability to do what's needed for my business
AWAKEN the skills to stay organized (in all aspects of life)
AWAKEN each morning with a bright outlook
AWAKEN my body by taking better care of it
I'm sure there are plenty more ways to apply my use of this word. But, those work for now.
To ensure that I am reminded of my commitment to the word, I put forth a little effort to make the sign you see above and hung it where I'll see it each day.
If you'd like to do the same thing, here are the steps make one yourself.
1. Gather the number of Wood Slats (or other wood pieces) for the number of letters in your word.
2. Paint front and all sides of wood with gesso
3. Using a pencil, draw out the letters on each wood piece
4. Gather up the a good selection of bright acrylic paints (2 for each letter)
5. First paint the background color (keeping the letter white) and then paint in the letter
6. Use a paint pen to outline each letter (and cover up where the paints meet)
7. Decorate . . .this could have been done in any variety of ways (collage, stickers, stamps, etc.) but I simply used some white paint to decorate the inside and outside of the letters, alternating between them.
There could be any number of ways to hang these, but here's what I came up with.
Using florist wire I cut a length, spiraled the ends, and bent it in the middle
Then glued the spirals down with some E6000 on the backs of the letters
I let the glue dry overnight and simply used some thumb tacks to hang the letters over the craft room window, where I'll see it each day.
What do you think?
Wishing you all the best for 2011 - may your dreams, hopes, goals, resolutions, and desires come to you!!!
Speaking of which, What DID you resolve to do this new year?
I tend to share most of my jewelry endeavors here, but not always the art journaling/mixed media pursuits. So, once a month, I like to pop o...
Learning to make jewelry is as simple as knowing a few of the tools and how to perform several techniques. From there, a whole world of des...
I want to share the joy and fun of being able to make your own jewelry designs by helping you learn some of the basics of jewelry-making. T...